A brief history of West End Congregational Church
The non-conformist cause in Haverhill traces its history back to the latter part of the 16th Century. The first Congregational Church in the town was the Old independent Church (still in existence and now URC). Our own history began in 1834 when a number of people seceded from the OIC and formed a new congregation meeting in their homes and in a room adjacent to the Bell Hotel. Two years later on the 16th May 1836 the Market Hill Church (located on the high Street) now called West End Congregational Church came into being. The congregation in a short space of time outgrew the premises and a new place of worship was required.
The present Church buildings comprising the Sunday School rooms (now the Church Hall), the Church and a Manse were erected between 1890-95 at what was then the west end of the town. The Gurteen family, one of the largest employers in the town, were great benefactors to the church and the foundation stone of the Sunday School rooms – which was built first – was laid by Daniel Gurteen Jnr on the 19th November 1890.
The present Church which has had twenty-five ministers since inception, including the present incumbent. The church meets for worship every Sunday morning at 10.30am and our mission Statement is that this is:- “A place where Christ is honoured, the Bible upheld and people are welcome.” The church maintains a strong preaching ministry, is largely evangelical, and is led by a full-time minister and a Diaconate.
If you are visiting the town please come along on a Sunday morning and meet with us, all are welcome.
BBC broadcast from WECC 1947
Rev B Barton and Deacons – 1935
Rev Ernest Marshall 1956-62
Rev Hugh Seaborn
Rev Janet Wooton 1979-86
West End carol singers – 1949
West End Sunday School Boys 1917